Monday 28 January 2013

Body Positive Images

It's become quite a trend to encourage body positivity recently, which is wonderful. However, I've noticed on many online blogs, tumblr in particular, overweight people seem to be the main ones who use body positivity as almost a way of having a dig at naturally skinny women with no curves and to try put across that they are more attractive. 
Obviously this is not the case all of the time, but I feel it is important that body positivity addresses other issues that occur with women's appearance that are deemed "ugly" or "repulsive" in women by society. Far more so than weight, anyway. The three issues I have dealt with here are "asymetric breasts", "large labia minora" and "body and facial hair". If these are a success
Normally I avoid social issues or personal thoughts in my own work, as I like to entertain and make people laugh with my drawings and leave any deep thoughts in the back of my head (hence my venture into the Illustration world, not the Fine Art one). However, I think it's about time that I deal with something that is personal to me and probably to a lot of other women out there (more so than will admit).
Be proud of who you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment